Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dear Joe Paterno,

I understand that you are a college football legend and a huge part of Penn State's history but, first and foremost, you are a human being. And now you are a human being involved in, what I believe to be, the most heinous of scandals (in my opinion, crimes against children are the worst of the worst). I just read that you are retiring at the end of this football season, rather than effective immediately, and I cannot understand why?

I also read the statement that you made earlier today and I find it unacceptable. I don't care how LITTLE you know about a child abuse situation, it is reprehensible when you choose to turn a blind eye to it. You don't need "graphic detail" to know when something, involving someone you have worked closely with for many years, is not right. And if you have the SLIGHTEST inkling or any reason at ALL to suspect that a child is in danger (or someone TELLS you they might be), and you do not take serious action (beyond what you are "required" to do), you are a party to the abuse. Abuse that went on and on. Abuse that, no doubt, ruined many lives.

I believe that there is a special place in Hell (or the like) for those who commit crimes against children. I also believe that there should be consequences for those who stay silent and allow such crimes to go unreported. At the very least, you should leave your coaching post of your own volition. Like, now.

If you are not going to "punish" yourself publicly and resign, I can only hope that you are experiencing some sort of internal struggle for not doing something all those years ago. Which would you rather have had on your conscience -- some lost football games or the lost (nay, stolen) innocence of children?

-Marja, an extremely disappointed fellow human being

No comments:

Post a Comment