Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 30 of Thankfulness aka Ode to Rach

L-R: Rach, Marj, Creeper (1998)

I am thankful for one vintage friendship in particular and the forever friend who comes with it. Waaaay back in 2nd grade, when I was the new girl at our elementary school, Rachele was the first person to approach me on the playground and invite me to join her and some other girls on the bars (as opposed to where you could find us circa age 21, IN the bars).

Since it was clearly magic that brought us together all those (almost 24) years ago, I shall put it in terms that loyal fans (us) of the magical Harry Potter, will truly appreciate.

If ever we were forced into the Dark Arts (in desperate times beyond our control, of course), there wouldn't be enough Horcruxes in this world to contain our friendship. Alas, I've started making a list of items we can use (J.I.C.):

A Mariners cap, a Rockies cap (Benny's Dodgers cap and Charlie Sheen's Giants cap would be too obvi), both halves of an old school BFF necklace, Senor Delgado's sombrero, one of our yearbooks (one that Rach is actually in), a Firestone chicken strip, a boy band CD (preferably *NSYNC), the key to Edward's Volvo (or Brando's Mustang or Dylan's Porsche (sorry, Steve)), Grandpa Cleo's fave cowboy hat, the napkin JK started writing HP&TPS on, a VHS tape with "My Son is Innocent", "Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?", and an episode of MMC recorded on it, black and gold pom poms, one of Grandma Jo's crocheted originals, Cher's Jeep, the Lifetime logo, a piece of Nat's famous peach pie, Victor's mustache, my two-line phone, one of Joey Mac's or JRT's former curls, The Plastics' "slambook", my 8th-grade-who-needs-to-wear-a-dress-to-every-dance-palazzo-pants (vest and choker optional), Mason Betha's $ chain, the hatchback to a petite, rust Civic, a cassette single of LLCJ's "Loungin' (Who Do You Love)?" featuring Total, the curling iron used to sculpt "the bangs" in the late 80s/early 90s, the bell from the Albatross, the headset Brit Brit lip syncs into, one of Mama Del's buttery rolls, Dobby's freedom sock, a whole lotta hubcaps, the letterman jacket Freddie Prinz Jr. prob wore in every horrid movie of his that we've paid good money to see, my preeeccccciiiiiooooouuuusssssss, the ciggy Ryan Gosling was puffing on when we DIDN'T talk to him, a CMSF concert ticket (any of the hundreds of artists we've seen together will do), a tube of Jabot lipstick, the blanket that played Devon Sawa's baby brother in NOTT, one mother of a magnet (aka Ohio Tech) . . .

This list is literally neverending (much like Atreyu's story) and the fact that we're adding to it every day is a heartwarming comfort to me.

What I guess I'm getting at is that our bond can never be broken. Not only because no one in their right mind would take the time to decode all of the above but because as long as we have each other (and I'm pretty sure we have no choice in the matter at this point), we can never be destroyed (*insert evil, maniacal laughter here* or simply the RMF version: ha ha ha ha ha hee hee hee hee ha ha). I love you FOR-EVVVV-ERRRR and beyond. XO

4 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! You got all the good stuff!! This is amazing! I love you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saving the best for last I see??? Rach is a pretty special gal, I suppose ;) I was laughing through almost all of those memories because I know (or THINK I know) what they are ;) Love you guys and your everlasting friendship!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One need not understand what that list of dark arts items are to nevertheless appreciate a lovely tribute to a lovely friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brought tears to my eyes indeed! Rachele is truly a forever friend to you,and an extended member to our ever growing family :)

    ReplyDelete