Friday, June 3, 2011

It Gets Better

I have a 17-year-old brother (shout out to Trevor who I am TOTALLY embarrassing right now) and yesterday afternoon my Mom and I were talking about how tough it is to be a teenager in general. It's that crazy time when we really start to attempt to figure out who we are and who we will be. I cannot even imagine how much harder it is to be a LGBT teen (that's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender for those of you living in a cave conveniently wired with full internet access to be reading this blost right now). Those frizzy-haired, acne-and-brace-face filled (if you're me) first few "teen years" can be a lot of fun but they can also be some of the most challenging to get through.

I would be posting this groundbreaking video no matter who the team featured in it is but, I can't lie, I am SO proud that our reigning World Series Champion San Francisco Giants were the first professional sports organization to join the It Gets Better Project. The website www.itgetsbetter.org is a place where young people who are LGB or T can see how love and happiness can be a reality in their future. And it’s a place where their straight allies can visit and support their friends and family members. It's a place full of hope and I love it. Well done, [creator] Dan Savage!



I have always believed that, for lack of less popular phrases, we are who we are and we're born this way (say what you will about Ke$ha and Lady Gaga but they are spreading messages of self-love and positivity through their music and I applaud them for that). And I have always been passionate about equal rights for all human beings (unless you are a lesser being who hurts children, animals or other adults in ANY way, in which case I preclude you from said rights). Now that my husband and I have brought someone into this world, we have a vested interest in making sure his experience is a positive one; no matter who he is or who he loves. And while the idea of raising my beautiful boy in a bubble is tempting, I'd rather he be out in the world and living life to its fullest, bumpy roads and all. He'll always have the love and support of his parents and family but it's just nice to know that there are safe havens out there and people who you've never met pulling for you along the way. We plan to raise a human being who loves everyone and is tolerant of everyone. No. Matter. What. In fact, one of our goals is to make it so that the biggest threat our son (and subsequent children) ever poses is with hugs. Watch out future peers of Cade William . . . he's comin' for ya . . . arms wide open! Let this be your warning.    

4 comments:

  1. Nice. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful column! Oh, and watch out world! Here comes Cade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely said. And I also believe that Lady Gaga is spreading good messages.
    (I don't listen to Ke$ha lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this organization...its so empowering and heartwarming to know that people are out there spreading the message of love and tolerance, and what is more - providing MUCH NEEDED support for those who struggle to experience the love and acceptance and tolerance we all have a right to. love this post, Marja. love you ;)

    ReplyDelete