Saturday, June 11, 2011

Back on the Bean


I have the esophagus of an 85-year-old woman (self-diagnosed) and have been on an off Tums (and some harder stuff as well) for acid reflux-ish issues since I was 18. A couple of years ago I finally saw a Gastroenterologist and he recommended that I cut one or more of the following out of my diet: alcohol, chocolate, coffee, garlic, tomato (there were others but I am sticking to what's important here). Seeing as though denying myself most of those items would have a direct impact on my sanity, I chose to cut out the one I abused on a daily basis . . . coffee (mark my words: I. Will. NEVER. Give. Up. Chocolate. Ever.). Although I was immediately feeling the effects of a body sans-the-proper-amount-of-caffeine-to-function (cue the headaches and that fuzzy-in-the-head feeling of not getting enough sleep) and I missed my sweet, sweet cafe con leche, I stuck it out and was "on tea" in less time than I expected.

While I enjoy tea, I have yet to find one that gives you that same kick/boost that real coffee does; it was never quite the same. But by the time I retired my Starbucks card (there was one in the building I worked in) it didn't matter much to me since David and I had become serious about starting a family so I was planning on cutting back on the caffeine anyway. Fast forward to late last year, when I stopped breastfeeding (translation: pumping; it's a LONG story for a future blost), and I was keen to get back on the bean. Oh how I had missed my ol' friend, Joe. For the last couple of years I had been living vicariously through the inviting aroma wafting from every fresh pot that David had made. I had been so strong but with a still-new baby in the house and the lack of sleep that came with him, I was no match for magic of a mocha or the lure of a latte. That first cup was so delicious I went in for a second (which is rare because I'm strictly a one cup/no larger than Grande or Medium kind of gal) and I haven't looked back. I don't drink coffee every day but I enjoyed a heaping mug full earlier today and guarantee that if you run into me out and about on the days I have, I am definitely sporting an extra zip that keeps me going (at least until early afternoon).

Are you a coffee or tea drinker? Can you recommend a caffeinated tea that you find is comparable to coffee? I would love to give it a try. Are there any other caffeinated morning beverages that I should know about?      

5 comments:

  1. Red Bull and vodka? ;)
    I have yet to find a tea with the coffee kick we know and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up caffeine almost 8 years ago... its hard at first but man... its nice now :) I can't handle the stuff. Chai tea seems to have more caffeine then regular tea though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry,Dorothy, but I must tell you that there is no substitute for coffee, which is probably what you do not want to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to cut back on coffee this year too cause it takes a toll on my tummy. But I LOVE the taste so I now have coffee as a "treat" every once in awhile. Actually, I'm more of an Americano gal really. My daily caffeine in the a.m. is usually an english breakfast tea (I really like Starbuck's 'Awake' tea) with half&half and a some sweetener. I like it and it gives me a good kick. Not the same as coffee but definitely comparable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm up to 3 or 4 cups in the morning, but the tum-tum doesn't always like it.

    "Fill it up again! Fill it up again! Once it hits your lips, it's so good!" -Frank the Tank

    ReplyDelete