Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ain't That America

This Memorial Day Weekend was a nice and productive one for our fam. On Saturday, David put sod down in a section of our backyard that was sans-grass (more on that project, plus pics, later) and it looks lovely!

On Sunday, my sister, Cade and I ran some shoppy errands and enjoyed a late lunch at our local BJ's restaurant (yes we got a Pizookie, yes is was de-licious, yes I felt Mom Guilt for enjoying it in front of Cade and yes I am already looking forward to my next "fix").

Chocolate Chunk Pizookie. Yummers!

While we lunched, Cade charmed every table and server in our immediate vicinity (naturally). Everything was going great until one seemingly nice and normal lady paused from cooing and gooing at him to say to her lunch date: "That baby looks like John Cougar Mellencamp!" On the outside I chuckled politely and made no comment. On the inside I was holding back the maniacal laughter. Without making any sudden movements, I glanced at Caitlin with bug-eyes; hoping that she could read my "WTF?!" thoughts but I wasn't sure if she had heard it. The nice lady didn't even say he looks like a YOUNG John Cougar and I don't know if it is his plethora of hair, raspy (in JCM's case "smoker's") voice or the overall rock 'n' roll aura my 10.5 month old son gives off but I will NEVER forget that random comment and the day my sweet baby was compared to a salty aging rocker. Ha ha ha!



Personally, I don't see a striking resemblance. To each their own, I suppose.

Then came Monday and an afternoon Memorial Mimosa (don't judge people, it's a drink for any time of day in my book) to toast those brave men and women who have sacrificed everything to serve and protect our country. The grand finale was a BBQ and some fave [pre] Summertime activities (Cornhole and Left, Right, Center - a super fun dice game) at the casa de our friends Colleen and Spencer. There's nothing like eating and drinking and laughing with friends and watching your John Cougar Mellencamp look-alike son (I couldn't resist) play in the grass to remind you how fortunate you are. I hope those families and friends who are missing someone were able to celebrate with lots of laughs and sweet memories and without too many tears.

Cheers! My Memorial Day Mimosa in an oh-so kitschy goblet from a home-sweet-SLOtown favorite of mine, the Madonna Inn. Collect the whole set (I'm working on it).


5 comments:

  1. that pizookie is a giant plate o'evil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still chuckling and a little misty eyed! JCM? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is: Was Cade wearing his shades when the woman made the comparison?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! OMG - Love cornhole! That pic of Cade is REDONKULOUSLY cute....

    ReplyDelete