Friday, May 20, 2011

Footloose and Paci Free

It's official. Cade has been "off" the pacifier for almost 3 weeks! As a newborn, our son had zero interest in sucking on anything if milk wasn't at the other end of it but we started using the pacifiers as relief for the pain of teething when he was 3-4 months old and eventually they became a handy sleep aid as well. However, at the end of April, Cade got his first runny nose cold, complete with a mild ear infection, so I carpe diemed and here we are 3 weeks later -- sans paci and lovin' it. Sure, there were moments (translation: lengthy stretches in the middle of the night) when he cried out for the familiar comfort of a paci suckle to lull him back to sleep; but David and I were strong and after a couple of days it was as if he had never used them. I can't lie, I don't miss having ONE MORE thing to worry about taking with us when we leave the house or having to clean those suckers (I heart puns) dozens of times a day.

*Disclaimer* I may sound all cool as a cucumber now but please note that I have struggled with my fair share of Mom Guilt over taking away something that helped calm and soothe my son in his times of frustration and discomfort. And I hated every single tear he may have shed over the sudden lack of said pacifiers in his nighttime routine. But I truly believe it was all for the best and Cade's time to leave them behind (I may, or may not, have had paranoid delusions of him getting up to receive his college diploma with a pacifier hanging out of his mouth but that is neither here nor there).

One thing I will most definitely miss is making Cade smile whilst he was chompin' on a paci and watching the sides of his mouth curl up behind it as he warmed up for a big belly laugh and spit it out in a fit of giggles. Our baby boy is growing up . . . can someone please press the pause button for me?!? Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Quite an accomplishment, for both Cade and his parents.

    ReplyDelete