Monday, October 3, 2011

To Fast or Not So Fast?

After starting and stopping numerous times since my son was born (and my entire adult life) I FINALLY re-started working out on a regular basis. Things have been going great for the last month -- I already feel so much better (more energy is a beautiful thing when you're chasing an almost 15-month-old around all day) and cannot wait to get back into all of that neglected denim collecting dust in my closet.

While the exercise and diet (everything, chocolate included, in moderation) have been falling into place (so far), I am aware that I have a large bulge long road ahead of me in the post-baby-tummy-shrinking department. So, lately I have been pondering trying one of those cleanses that I read so much about. You know, a juice fast or daily cleanse that lasts a week or so and supposedly helps kick-start your weight loss? However, I don't know how safe these truly are or if they even really work so I'll definitely consult with my doctor before I proceed.

In the meantime, please share your fasting experience with me. Have you ever done a cleanse? Did it "work"? Would you do it again?

4 comments:

  1. When I fast I get hungry! ;)
    I believe a cleanse means you spend most of the day on the toilet. Good luck. You can call me for a consultation.... on WW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fasts don't work; you'll lose body fluids not fat. There's no shortcut to weight loss. Just remember that it took many months to put on the weight so give yourself a break in getting it off. You're ahead of the game with your exercise regime but now you need to eat in moderation: lots of fruits and veggies, 2 to 4 ounces of protein a day, at least 2 glasses of milk, at least 2 teaspoons of fat, and keep portions normal. Avoid eating out as restaurant portions are way too large and contain too much fat. By Christmas you'll be your old slim self again. Then you can eat some of those Xmas cookies with no guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never tried one, because I've been told it gets rid of too much good stuff as well! Our body has a natural cleansing cycle which fasts/cleanses can screw up. You also throw off your natural bacteria and such. So all in all I've heard they are no bueno! For a "cleanse" try cutting out processed foods for a few days to rid the chemicals, but keep eating all the other good stuff! :) Good luck, and remember you earned those extra couple pounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing what eating a big bowl of oatmeal every morning can do for your digestive system.

    ReplyDelete