Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Halloweenie's Movie Guide



If you're like me, you enjoy a good scare . . . every once in a while. However, I am not one to watch REALLY scary movies over and over again (The Exorcist (1973) and Hostel (2005) *gag* were most definitely one time deals for moi). I've seen the majority of the "modern classics" (most recently, Misery (1990)) at least once and am pretty much good with that (although whenever Poltergeist (1982) is on the ol' boob tube I admit that I get sucked in).

I prefer to stick to the Halloweenesque movies that don't involve an overabundance of terror and/or gratuitous bloodshed, with the exception of Scream (1996). My girlfriends and I loved it so much that we saw it in the theater twice. I appreciate a little humor with my horror, you know, to take the edge off. Translation: I am an admitted Halloweenie and proud of it!

In no particular order, here are some of my favorite Halloweenish movies:

1.  It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

2.  Hocus Pocus (1993)

3.  Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992) - The movie that came years before the TV series.

4.  The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - Bonus feature: you can watch this gem from October through December as it transcends the one holiday rule!

5.  Ghostbusters (1984)

6.  Beetlejuice (1988)

7.  The Harry Potter Series, 1-7 (2001-2011)

8.  The Goonies (1985)

9.  E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

10. Michael Jackson's Thriller (1983) - Yes, technically it's a music video, but at 14 minutes it's not much shorter than some of the Charlie Brown TV specials (although a whole lot scarier when you're 9 years old). My Mom would make a fun to-do out of watching it; we'd pop in the VHS tape and chomp on popcorn and other treats, cinema style.

Honorable mention: Casper (1995) - My sister and I LOVED the two minutes that 90s teen heartthrob Devon Sawa played the "real boy" Casper.

Looking to lose some sleep in the near future? Check out Vintage Love's Fright Fest O' Rama.

What is/are your favorite Halloween movie(s)? Any suggestions (fine, I'll take REALLY scary ones too)?

3 comments:

  1. So good! You can never go wrong with some Hocus Pocus and Buffy, if not for the fun story lines, the good singing/cheering...."I put a spell on you and now you're mine!" or "How funky is your chicken, how funky is your chicken, how loose is your goose, our goose is totally loose...." Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie Brown wins hands down for me. A gentle Halloween romp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evil Dead II (1987) - Sam Raimi at his best..."Who's laughing now!"

    ReplyDelete