Thursday, August 4, 2011

Friday Night Lights Out

Clear eyes. Full hearts. Can't lose.

Why do all of the good television shows leave us too soon? After 5 solid seasons, Friday Night Lights (adapted from the book and movie of the same name) came to an end a couple of weeks ago. David and I are way behind the TV times (I have yet to watch the Season Finales of Glee or 30 Rock) so we fired up the ol' DVR last night and finally bid farewell to one of our favorite shows. I think that a part of me wanted to hold out for as long as possible before watching that final episode because I just didn't want it to be over. As I watched the lights on the football field go out for the last time, I felt a tinge of disappointment but was definitely satisfied with how the writers wrapped things up, and I'm glad the show went out on a high note (a la My So-Called Life, Sex and the City, Friends, pretty much any show that I have loved and lost).

I think the best part of FNL is the characters. Even though I was a fan of Kyle Chandler before this show (remember Early Edition?), he became Coach Taylor to me. EVERY one, from the lead characters to the smallest supporting roles, is so real and that's because the cast is A-mazing (well done, casting agents!). If you've never watched an episode, I urge you to add Season 1 to your Netflix queue, hop on Hulu and get to watchin', or head to your local DVD rental store (if one still exists in your neighborhood) when the next rainy day comes around (which could be any minute the way this Summer has been going). Trust me. You don't need to be a football fan to enjoy it and I guarantee that you will fall in love with Coach, Tami, Julie, Gracie Belle, Street, Saracen, Smash, the Riggins brothers, Tyra, Landry, Lyla, Jess, Vince, Mindy, Luke, Buddy (the list goes on and on), and gladly get sucked into their stories.

Tell me . . . what dearly departed television shows do you miss?

2 comments:

  1. I get all sentimental over old cartoons and I’m sad that our son won’t know them unless we force him to watch the collector’s edition DVDs. On the weekdays, I never missed Voltron, Thundercats, GI Joe, and Transformers. SilverHawks was a Saturday morning special. I was also a sucker for He-Man and the original live-action Incredible (I said Crebidle) Hulk series. In the early 80’s I could be spotted wearing a good variety of He-Man and Hulk underoos. Top that Yo Gabba Gabba!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually get nostalgic over the endings of TV shows, maybe because most need to end by the time the final showing occurs. But like books that you can read over and over TV shows, as you pointed out, can be rented and played over and over.

    ReplyDelete