Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Star Gazing and Grazing

No, sillies, I didn't just return from a quiet trip to the countryside, I am sharing with you how I spent my Oscar Sunday. My lil' family and I enjoyed the evening with friends at the home of Jusha (I will use our gracious hosts' celeb couple nickname to protect their anonymity *wink, wink*). There, we dined on a delicious spread of cleverly named finger foods (think 127 Beans dip and True Grit Sausage Cakes) and washed it all down with the very apropos bubbly and some vino too.

Overall, I enjoyed the show. Maybe it was the company I was keeping at the time but I didn't think this Academy Awards was any more boring than in years past. I thought that Anne Hathaway was a good hostess and James Franco was great in taped segments but as awkward as ever when he was live. I just don't get the Franco appeal outside of his looks. He has yet to demonstrate to this gal that he is a true actor but maybe "127 Hours" will prove me wrong? I won't hold my breath.

I think part of the reason critics have been so harsh on the broadcast is because there were no real surprises throughout the night, including in the awards department. However predictable the acting winners were, they were well deserved. I am especially pleased for the dashing Colin Firth, a longtime favorite chap of mine ("Pride and Prejudice" and "Shakespeare in Love") and Melissa Leo, who impressed me back in the day on "Homicide: Life on the Streets" (a TV show from Friday nights past) and despite her tacky attempt at self-promotion truly became Micky and Dicky's mutha in "The Fighter". Then there's the handsome and mysterious Christian Bale who morphs seamlessly into every character he plays, not to mention he hides his British accent better than most. And, I have been a fan of his (translation: crushed on him) since the days of "Newsies" and "Little Women". So, cheers to another year of glitz and glamour and the allure of awards season. I can't wait to rent the 5 "Best Picture" nominees that I haven't seen yet and I'm looking forward to the next round of movies to generate that good ol' "Oscar buzz" for next year!

1 comment:

  1. The hosts were beautiful and no worse than others have been in recent years. No one, but no one, can replace Bob Hope. But then Oscar night is a night to forget the ugly headlines for a time and immerse oneself in glamour and the make believe. Having said that, however, I no longer have the patience to sit through several hours of awkward self-promotion and over-the-top preening.

    ReplyDelete