Monday, March 14, 2011

Oh My Word

Early last week, Cade was having a fussy moment (translation: afternoon) and when the whining went from song-stuck-in-your-head annoying to fork-screeching-on-a-plate impossible I held him up and looked at him and the simple phrase, "Oh my word!" tumbled out. For those of you who aren't aware, I am a recovering Sailor Mouth (not to be confused with Parseltongue, my fellow HP Heads). Normally, my reaction would have been a muffled/under my breath, censored version of an expletive that makes me feel better for not having any way to soothe my son's teething pain. And, I wouldn't have been staring straight at him when I said it.

The strange thing is that OMW (I am a fan of acronyms) is not one of the go-to PG phrases that I keep in my back pocket (which include "Dear Lord!" and "Seriously?!?"). The only person in my life who I know used it was my dearest Nana, my Dad's mom who passed away very suddenly 11 years ago (more on that at some point). Nana was a calm, soothing soul and in the 19 years that I knew her, I never saw her REALLY lose her temper. Sure, she'd get annoyed with my Grandpa every once in a while but she kept her emotions in check (which you probably couldn't pay me to do; although money has never been offered to me so I can't say for sure). Whenever one of us kids would get huffy or sassy, that would be her simple response before talking some sense into us.

I love that, in a moment where I could have said anything, that's what I blurted out. There's something special about me channeling her in that instance. It makes me believe that our connection is still very much alive and reaffirms my feeling that she is always with me. Cade would have loved her and I am sure she is loving him . . . from afar.     

2 comments:

  1. <3 Nana always <3 I loved reading this, Hon, and know that she would be so proud of you and all that you and David have done for that precious little man. xoxo
    Caitles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word! This one brought tears to my eyes, Mrs. M.

    ReplyDelete