Wednesday, February 2, 2011

T.G.I.T.J.'s

The phrase "running errands" no longer applies to me. Since my 6-month-old son was born, I would say it's more like I "slow-motion walk errands". This new pace was hard to get used to at first but now when I [eventually] leave the house with Cade everything becomes an adventure of sorts (Will he poop as soon as I strap him into his car seat? Will I strap him into his car seat and then he'll projectile spit-up all over the place and require a wardrobe change?), and that makes it fun. One errand that I especially dread, and have my entire life (See also: the bane of my existence), is going to the market (aka grocery store or supermarket, which I refuse to refer to it as, seeing as though there is nothing super about the experience).

However, over the last few years I have gained a new respect (translation: I harbor less hatred) for grocery shopping thanks to the magic of Trader Joe's. I have shopped at Trader's (as it is affectionately known in my family) for about 9 years now, but it wasn't until David and I lived in San Francisco that we realized we could do one-stop shopping there. Before then we were getting some things from major market chains (who shall remain nameless) and picking up a few supplemental items from T.J.'s. But that became tedious and the major market would always win, mostly thanks to their produce departments. After a successful trip like I had today, with every item on my list checked off, and a few impulse purchases here and there (Vanilla Joe-Joe's? Yes, please!) it really feels good. Plus, I always spend SO MUCH LESS mula. That being said, I will revel in my productive trip, during which my son did NOT spit up once (*pats herself on the back*) . . . until I begin dreading the inevitable return engagement. And so the cycle continues . . .

1 comment:

  1. Practice makes perfect. Eventually you will be able to grocery shop while juggling not one but 2 little ones. Of course, it's a lot easier to leave the little ones home and "run" to the market. But not always possible, and so it's good to maintain that sense of humor about the experience.

    ReplyDelete