Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Confession

Our beautiful, half-decorated, toddler-friendly-ish, Christmas tree!

O Tannenbaum!

Forgive me, Father Christmas, for I have nearly sinned. I had impure thoughts that led me to consider buying an artificial Christmas tree. One look at that perfect synthetic one and I could not get it out of my head. It was just the right shape (tall and trim) for the limited space in the living room where we usually display our trees (this year's does not fit -- too full), it stood at a reasonably majestic 7.5 feet and featured a plethora of perfectly dispersed white lights. No water (translation: upkeep) necessary. And wouldn't it be so "green" (pun intended) of us to not buy a real tree every year?!

This is the first time in my 31 years that a faux tree has tempted me. David and I have lived together for almost a decade's worth of Christmases and never, in all those years, have I thought twice about heading to a tree lot to pick out our annual greenery. It's a family tradition that I have ALWAYS cherished and I believe that you don't mess with tradition. And that is especially true this year, when we have a little one who is becoming more and more aware of the world around him (and LOVING the lights, the wreath on the door, all of the decorations, the music), so you would think it's a no-brainer to get the real deal.

[For a good 2 hours] I hemmed and hawed and guiltily lusted after the simplicity of a tree that required such little effort. But as soon as we stepped foot on the tree lot, Cade's little paw tucked tightly in mine as he led me to a new adventure (I doubt he remembers picking out his first tree last year) . . . poof! Just like that, I snapped back to reality and the joys of hunting for a Christmas tree to call ours for the season. After chasing the little guy up and down the rows of green, we settled on a larger-than-planned but oh-so beautiful noble fir. Cade gave his seal of approval by attempting to hug it (and, if you can believe it, the attempts continue to this day).

The lovely, piney, smell of the "real thing" makes it all worth it. Well, that and the fact that, every morning, when I turn the tree lights on, my son gasps like it's the most amazing thing he's ever seen. The coolest part? It probably is . . . for now . . .

And, we get to do it all again next year!

3 comments:

  1. I have a confession (that you already know about)...I, in fact, am looking at my faux tree as I type this....the little 3ft. tree with lovely white lights is just right for me...for now ;) The one thing I miss the most is the yummy piney, Christmassy smell, which I now supplement with piney fresh candles that I have burning at all times! It's def not the same as a real tree, but I do get to enjoy Mom and Dad's real tree seeing as though I am there during my winter break ;) Just wanted to share my faux story ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I love the ease of setting up my fake trees I do miss the mountain smells of a real tree. Time enough for a faux tree when Cade is grown up. There is nothing more magical for a child than a Christmas tree with twinkling lights and decorations. It's worth the trouble of leaky tree dishes, the taking down and repacking of those myriad lights and decorations, the daily watering, etc., etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Confession...we have a plastic tree! Last year we did real and it didn't even smell. Plus it was all needle-y. It gets the job done :)

    ReplyDelete