Saturday, December 17, 2011

Carpe Christmas!

When I said "Seize the Season!", Cade took it literally. Here he is, attempting to scale the tree and "redecorate."

It's official. The [equal parts] excitement and anxiety of the holidays have officially set in for yours truly. I love this time of year but it goes by WAY too fast! Fortunately, I got my cards out nice and early and our beauti-FULL tree has been top-half-decorated (we have a busy toddler in the house, after all) for a couple of weeks, but there is still so much to do and Christmas Eve is 7 days away. We are not finished shopping for everyone on our list and not a single present has been wrapped. How did this happen? I have said it before, but this year, and December in particular, have most definitely been on fast forward. Long gone are the days when it would take FOR-EV-ER for Christmas morning to arrive *sigh*.

So, I've decided that one of my New Year's resolutions will be to seize the season and start Christmas shopping in November. Like, early November. And, to actually buy things for people, as I stumble upon them, throughout the year (tune in to a future episode of Hoarders: Holiday Edition, to see how that turns out). As much as it pains me to step on Thanksgiving's toes, there's no way around it. Taking little ones' (at the very least) wish list requests pre-Turkey Day should alleviate some of the pressure that distracts from the enjoyment, and true meaning, of the season.

I want to be spending more time with friends and family. I want to be [somewhat] relaxed and enjoy wintertime activities with my son, maybe even get some crafts going (for fun and gift-giving purposes). But it's hard enough to get the have-tos done, let alone get started on the want-tos (although my sis and I do always make time for cookie baking, natch). I truly feel like this must change. What do you think? Too ambitious?

I know that everyone feels this way at some point. So, how do you stay sane during this time of year? PLEASE share your tricks 'n tips in the comment section.

1 comment:

  1. Grandma Jo was famous for buying throughout the year when she came across an item she thought would make the perfect gift for someone on her list. She would wrap it and on occasion forget where she stowed it and then give it to us at odd times during the year. But she never, never stressed out. Gramps and I would be up half the night on Xmas Eve putting together those easy-to-assemble toys or wrapping, wrapping, wrapping gifts. In retrospect, it's all part of the season so enjoy it. And never, never stress out. Sit down and enjoy your son redecorate the tree--those moments are fleeting and are to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete